Sunday, March 27, 2011

Update

Well, my 3 days out of the hospital have been nothing short of busy. I knew that I would be expected to do blood work everyday to keep an eye on those creatinine levels and so I headed to the cancer center on Thursday with my big ol' nephrostomy tubes/bags. I waited an our for the results and it came back that my #s had slipped .1. Dr. Steffens had them give me 2 bags of fluid and I was reminded to drink drink drink.

As I wrote in the last post, there was nothing draining into the left bag, so on Friday morning I called my urologist to speak about it and give my "professional" opinion. He sent me down to interventional radiology (the department that put the tubes in) to have a dye test run and see if indeed that left ureter was working. The nurse looked at the tube and immediately noticed that the valve on the left tube was TURNED OFF! That explains why nothing was draining. But, since I am able to urinate, the ran the test anyway. It consisted of them injecting dye into the tube and taking pictures with the ultrasound machine to see if it would indeed empty into my bladder. They tested both sides and the right side still didn't drain to the bladder, but the left side did.

We were able to cap off the left side (the tube is still there, but only barely sticks out of my back) and they down-graded my right bag to a leg bag. They actually couldn't believe I was sent home with those huge bags. The leg bag is far more discreet and can fit in a pocket or be strapped to my leg under my clothes. It is such a burden released from my shoulders. I have to empty the bag a bit more often, but that's fine with me. And to know that the left kidney/ureter is working makes me feel a little better.

My blood work on Friday came back great and I don't have to go back until Monday. I just have to continue hydrating and keep myself as healthy as I can. I'm still very tired and could nap all day long and sleep all night, but it's a small price to pay in the scheme of things. It tells me that so far my body is tolerating the chemotherapy. As of today I will have my first 7 days down with 7 more to go until my break.

So, that's where things stand for now! I'll update when I know more!

With love and gratitude,
Tara


- Posted from my iPad!!!

Location:Dennbriar Dr NW,Concord,United States

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thinking of you, tara...

David Haas said...

Hello,
I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
Thanks,
David

alternative cancer treatment centers said...

Me and my alternative cancer center wants to wish you well. We are looking forward for your complete healing. Thanks for sharing!