Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the news

I am sorry it has taken me a week to update everyone on THE NEWS! I did my PET & Bone Scans last week and called Dr. Steffen's office first thing Thursday morning to find out results. Karey got back with me that afternoon and I did not get good news. The pet scan showed activity in lymph nodes in my lower abdomen (near my right kidney), my upper abdomen (near my aorta) and under my right arm. The bone scan showed that there is improvement in those original tumors but, paradixically, there is new activity in my ribs, right femur, left femur, left tibia and on the outer skull. So, needless to say, the time has come for a change of plan.

I started chemotherapy yesterday. I will be continuing on the Zometa and the Lupron, but we are stopping the Faslodex. I started a once a week regimen of Taxol and an every other week Avasten. The treatment took FOREVER. I got to the hospital @ 9am to get some x-rays of those bones in the left leg and Tina (IV QUEEN) Cull put in my IV. Then I headed over to the cancer center for my treatment. Of course, I dosed myself on Xanex and slept through most of it, but we didn't leave until 6:45 yesterday evening.

I brought my entourage, Mom, Gus, Eric, Mary Ann Chopko and Tina! I saw some if my old friends from over the many years I have been a patient there and overall, it was a pleasent experience.

This morning, I am feeling a little pukey, but not too bad. I will start losing my hair in 2-4 weeks. I have an appointment with Dr. Moore (the surgeon who did my mastectomy) at 10.15 today and sometime this week he will put a port in my chest to give those poor old veins a rest!

Overall, I accepted so much of this a long time ago and I am not ready to give up the battle! Continue sending your vibes my way and with everyone's help, I just might win this fight!

Love and gratitude!
Tara

And, I must give my mother a public shout-out for my new Ikea chaise lounge! I will be recovering in style and comfort! Thanks Mom!


Mobile Blogging from here.

2 comments:

HeatherCohen said...

We're sending positive vibes and all of our love to you...

I've got my Karate Kid headband on http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/heathercohen_photos/KickCancer.jpg

...and I'm hitchkicking cancer's a$$, while you're in treatment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTgtxrxag0&feature=related

We love you ~ Heather, Nan, Donna, Steve, Doogie & Danny Boy

Unknown said...

keep on keeping on-it's a bobism and has always been my motto. now, it's yours, too. we love you, tara.

angie & the rest of the reids